How did you read the title for this post? Did you read it BE PERFECT? If so, look again. Because this is my thoughts, feelings, ramblings for today.
Be the Perfect YOU!!
I have been blessed in my life to have friends from every walk of life. I have seen the wide spectrum of personalities and there is one underlying concept I noticed with each one. They were trying so hard to be perfect. And I got to thinking - perfection is a tricky concept. It's dependant on what YOU think is perfect. Some women's idea of perfect children are kids who run around carefree "expressing" themselves all over the place. But to me, that's chaos. Perfect children to me are the ones that sit perfectly still (there's that word again) and are quite! :)
So "perfect" is an opinion based word. Then it goes to reason, if I'm trying so hard to be perfect, WHO'S perfect should I try to be? My mom's? Sorry, she really is perfect and I just can't be like her - I've tried. :) Or are we trying to be our best friends perfect? How about the very cute mom that you see walking her kids to and from school (by the way, I met her yesterday at the Book Fair)? What about the sweet old lady at church who gives you funny looks when your kids act up?
OR what about that image in your head? You know, the one who wears cute, trendy, clean clothes; who has a clean and nicely decorated house; the kids are spiritual and kind and bordering on genius. The lady you WANT to be! And if you look closely at her, you'll see that she is perfect in all the areas you aren't. AHHA! That's the key!
Why can't we be content with who we are? Honestly; it's natural to aspire to be better. And it's a good and necessary desire. BUT there are other desires that warp our view. To compare ourselves to others and go over the top. Trying to be better along with those other desires makes it a compulsion to look good in others' eyes.
We are who we are for a reason! And we really can't go back and change who we are either. Wouldn't that be nice?! I'd go back to the perfect body! :) It's important for you to look to your strengths and focus on your weaknesses little by little.
"I have a friend" :) who struggles with feeling like a bad mom. I have to take the time sometimes and put my arms around me (oops, I mean HER) and remember why I am a good mom - for MY kids! No one else could raise them the way they need to. No one else could give them the learning that THEY need in life. I feel very strongly that in their lives, they will need the skills that I can teach them. For example, I love people - I really do! My kids are learning that (hopefull) and will need that in their lives. So God gave me children that would need my strengths. And if we truly were Perfect moms, our children will resent us (more than they will anyway). Could you imagine being the child to a perfect mom! Oh Heavens, someone send in the shrink! How many years of counseling will THAT be?!
And while we realize how important our strengths are, we still need to work on our shortcomings!!! I don't agree with the mentality, "that's just who I am." Because although it IS who you are, you still need to work on who you are.
Lastly, we need to support and love each other. Sometimes we need to take a break from those that hurt or harm us. But never look down on someone who is different. You'll never know if they are the ones to help you in your quest to be the perfect you!
2 comments:
Thank-you for this, we both know very well that "perfect mom syndrome" runs rampant in my home. Thanks for the love, support and reminder that being me IS ok and that I am what my kids need. Hugs!
To me you have ALWAYS been perfect.
Should I say thank you for the compliment(?) of being perfect or should I find you a shrink--how many years counseling will it be?
Was I what exactly what you needed?
It really doesn't matter because you are EXACTLY what I needed. I couldn't live w/o your love!
Post a Comment