Thought for the Day


"Oh, it is wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father loves us - even with all our flaws! His love is such that even should we give up on ourselves, He never will. We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father won't, for He sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of becoming."

- Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Thursday, January 10, 2008

God Wants Powerful People...

That is the name of a book I'm reading - a Christmas gift from my Mom. I wanted to post a few things from it occasionally because it is an amazing book!
The book is by Sister Dew who used to be the General Relief Society President. She is a wonderful speaker (and writer).
At the beginning of the book she shares an experience that she had just before she was released as the President.

Just before the 2002 Winter Olympic games, they implemented some new security measures on Temple Square and the surrounding buildings. All the employees, general officers, and others had to wear new security badges. Sister Dew didn't develop the habit of wearing hers although she usually carried it with her.
In the Saturday session of April 2002 general conference, the General Relief Society Presidency was released. They went to and from the different sessions of that conference through the series of tunnels connecting the various Church buildings.
Sunday morning Sister Dew was to speak at an early-morning devotional. As she drove to the Conference Center, she realized that the doors along the tunnels might not be open that early.
Sure enough, when she arrived, they were locked. Sister Dew rang a buzzer and a security officer came to let her in.
"Sister Dew, do you have your ID badge with you?" he said.
When she rummaged through her binder and found it, the officer responded, "Your badge gives you access to all of these doors. Didn't you know that?"
"No. How do I use it?"
"Just hold it in front of the sensor, and the doors will open," the security officer instructed. Sure enough - Voila - the heavy security doors opened.
Sister Dew replied, "You mean, I've been carrying with me all this time a badge that would give me entrance to all of these places on the Church campus, and I didn't even know it?"
"Yes," he said, "And didn't you just get released, Sister Dew?"
When she replied yes, he said, "Well, enjoy the badge today, because tomorrow it will be deactivated."
In her book, she goes on...
(and I quote) "The irony was unmistakable. For months I had carried with me a badge that had given me privileges I hadn't understood or, worse, taken advantage of. I had not understood that badge's power."

My thoughts =
This morning I was looking at old mission photos and remembering how amazing it was to serve the Lord and others! I miss it. I have never been so close to Christ and felt such sweet love for me and His children. It wasn't because I wore a skirt and rode a bike (yes, I DID ride a bike on my mission. I have photos to prove it) But it was because of the "badge." :) Literally and figuratively. I was taking full advantage of the blessings of the Gospel.

How much do I have in my life that I haven't understood, or worse, taken advantage of?! There is SO much! When I read Sister Dew's words, I realized that I don't have the time or energy to waste on "fluff" in this life. The unimportant things.
I'm walking around with the "badge" so to speak, but do I wear it and do I understand it's full importance? Nope!
Will I stand before my Savior at the end and hear him say, "Your badge has been deactivated today - I hope you enjoyed it!"?
I want to "enjoy" it! I want to "understand" it! I want to "use" it! And I also want to "wear" it!

No comments: