Thought for the Day


"Oh, it is wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father loves us - even with all our flaws! His love is such that even should we give up on ourselves, He never will. We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever. Although we might settle for less, Heavenly Father won't, for He sees us as the glorious beings we are capable of becoming."

- Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Friday, February 15, 2008

Possible Controversial Post

I was listening to a radio station today that really got me thinking. Today they had a Medium/Psychic. First of all, I don't know if they are "real" or not. I don't really care, honestly. I'm bet that some are real. Maybe they DO talk to spirits. But I don't agree with it. I believe in Spirits and the Afterlife. I prefer to call it the Spirit World and I see it as part of the Plan of Salvation.

Now, having said that, here are my thoughts about this Medium/Psychic:
I have a lot of thoughts going on in my head right now. I'm just going to spit them out and not worry about the cohesivness of it all.
I believe that life is about the journey, not the destination! Things that we really want to know from "spiritual powers" are things that often times we need to figure out for ourselves. Is trial and error in life such a horrible thing?
I can't tell you how amazing it has been to look back on uncertain times in my life and to be able to see the growth that I received just from wrestling the ideas in my head and finally making a decision. And honestly, in the grand scheme of things, there are only a few VERY important life-altering decisions in our lives. things that have dire consequences if chosen poorly. And even those are fixable eventually. Sure, it will cause more pain and energy to fix, but that also leads to more growth - funny how that works! :)
And now it's important to add that we DO have Spiritual help to turn to! and this is were my other problem with Mediums, etc. comes in. The Spiritual (notice the capital "S" - a whole lot more important than just a little "s") help we should be seeking is Heavenly Father (through Christ). He is the One! He knows ALL things! Do you imagine for a moment that the Spirits know all things?! Do you dare presume that they have the knowledge and love that Heavenly Father has for us. NO! And their job isn't to run around talking to Mediums to give everyone help.
When we ask the "spirits" for help, we cut out the most important person - God. And He knows not only what we need to know, but why we need to know it (or not know it as the case may be)!
Imagine for a minute that God had a certain lesson that you needed to learn. Now, if you go to the "spirits" and ask them what to do then you'll do things differently and you won't learn the lesson you needed to learn. And I mean REALLY learn - there's no learning more powerful than experience. You take the learning and the pain and the growth right out of that experience.
Also understand that God wants you to turn to Him for help and answers and strength to get through the things in life. He has the Power to help you!
SO, the big point is.....
who cares if Mediums or Pyschics or anyone else has a skill to talk to the dead! The only result to deter us from the REAL source of answers and strength!

The End (of my ramblings)!!!

1 comment:

Blake said...

Thanks for your thoughts. They have been on my mind this weekend and I find that there are many people that want to take a shortcut in life and not do the hard part. The part that actually draws us closer to God.