Well, the other day Bret taped a little bit of a news segment for me. I have to admit that I was touched! :) He thought of me! I was dead asleep in the other room.
The segment was about a "mommy blogger" named Heather Armstrong. It talked about how popular her blog is (yeah, it brings in about $40,000 a month). And I have to admit that I was curious. Seeing as how much I love blogging - making money at it, can that happen?!
During the segment 2 things stuck out to me:
1. she WAS a member of the Church. That doesn't bother me, it just stuck out to me.
2. they talked about how honest and open her blog is. My thoughts got turning and I had to be honest with myself. The fact that she WAS a member and now talks openly about these things - yeah, that did tweak my concern a bit. WHY?
I am a strong member of the LDS Church. It is my very soul and I tend to be protective. It made me a little sad thinking about anyone raving about any religion. Because it hurts spirits, not just minds or bodies. Now mind, I haven't read any of her religion based posts. In fact, I've only gotten time to read one. So my opinion is off. But here was my main thought in regards to all this:
Just because you CAN say anything - it doesn't mean you should!!!
Honestly, I think that wether it be over a blog or out of our mouths we should learn how to vocalize ourselves with respect for others. I can talk about my frustration with religion and people and the color of dog poop, but I can also do it with manners.
I'm sure that as I read more from Heather's blog that I'll be shocked or even angry. I respect that she has the right to say what is on her mind. She's a fun writer. I'm just doing a lot of thinking about it.....
2 comments:
I agree with you 100%. Right after I read your post I went on my nightly ritual of checking all my favorite sites and I had to stop at leeloublogs.blogspot.com She is LDS and has cute blog backgrounds you can download. She mentioned that Elder Ballard spoke recently about using the media to support the work of the church. Here is a link to the talk: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/using-new-media-to-support-the-work-of-the-church
Because that talk got her thinking too, she's offering free LDS buttons to add to your blog. It will send people to mormon.org when they click on them. She got special permission from the church to make them. I've got one on mine now.
I am usually pretty quiet about religion too, but you're right, we can still do something in a positive manner. Thanks for bringing this up. :)
Hi Again, I just read your comment on my blog.. I was clicking on "next blog" when I came across yours..and yes we are in Utah... North Ogden. I was excited to see another one in english.. lol
I was also excited to visit her blog too after hearing about it on the news.. but those were my same thoughts exactly. I chose to just stay away. I totally agree with you.
Post a Comment